For Christmas, Manny requested bread pudding for dessert. I've never had bread pudding nor had the desire to eat anything called bread pudding. I usually prefer savory bread like garlic bread or sweet dessert pastrys. Bread pudding just sounds weird and mushy to me. Nonetheless, relationships are about making the other person happy, so I ventured upon making a dessert I had never tasted before.
Also, I went grocery shopping at H.E.B, a Texas grocery chain. They have these yellow coupons that make it so compelling to try different brands, often offering a discount or a free item. I love Nutella and will swim in it if it wouldn't give me a skin infection in real life. However, these yellow coupons from H.E.B makes this Pralinutta duo brand a whopping $1.50 cheaper than Nutella. Why not? Turns out, karma smacked me and it's NOTHING like Nutella. I consume Nutella by the tablespoonful but this stuff is not the same. I've been trying to find other uses for it and VOILA it goes amazing in bread pudding.
Bread Pudding, adapted from allrecipes.com
- 6 slices of Pepperidge farm Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons of pralinutta duo chocolate hazelnut spread, melted
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups of whole milk or heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan.
3. Drizzle melted butter then drizzle melted pralinutta.
4. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, white and brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Beat until mixed well. Pour over bread and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.
6. (optional, for those with a huge sweet tooth desiring cavities aka Manny) top with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gradually beat in sugar. Blend in cinnamon.
2. Drizzle on top of bread pudding.