Last week I went to my first baby shower and I also hosted/planned it! Of course I can't take too much credit, my Aunt, who is an amazing event planner helped me a long the way. I used Pinterest to collect ideas for the baby shower. I pinned ones I liked onto my own Baby Shower board. Since it was the first baby shower that I planned, I decided to go with a more common theme. I loved all the cute ducky stuff so I decided on a ducky themed baby shower. There are so many great ideas for a ducky themed baby shower, such as the ducky punch bowl and ducky decorations.
Pictures are courtesy of my Aunt and Uncle.
Ducky Themed Baby Shower Decorations:
The cake table. We wrapped a circular styrofoam in blue gift tissue baby and tied it with a yellow ribbon to use as the cake pop holder. In the back, we wrapped a round styrofoam in yellow gift wrap and placed into a blue pail. We used a fish bowl with ping pong balls with a rubby duck for the ducky bowl. The bottom is a champagne glass filled with cotton balls and smaller rubber ducks. The cake was ordered from A Cake Studio. The flavor was chocolate with white chocolate filling.... very rich and delicious! Of course, I made the cake pops. The yellow duckies were lemon and butter cream. The blue ones are white cake that I dyed blue and vanilla icing.
The favor table consisted of small paint pails and jars filled with candy and bubbles from Walmart topped with mini ducks from Michaels. The diaper cake kit is from Hobby Lobby. I topped it with a stuffed animal duck instead of the paper duck it came with. The polka dot balloons are from Kroger. In the bottom right corner, I hung blue and yellow onesies and bibs from Macy's with clothespin on a string as decoration.
The beautiful couple
Baby Shower Games:
Below are a list of games that we played:
- Never say "Baby": (Materials- baby safety pins or another type of baby object you can place on a string for each woman at the party as well as string or yarn, enough for each woman to wear as a necklace). Have each woman place the necklace with the baby safety pins around her neck when she gets to the party. The rules for this baby shower game are given out at the beginning of the baby shower that whenever someone says the word "baby" during the shower, any woman who calls it out gets a pin from the other woman who stated the word. At the end of the baby shower, the woman with the most pins wins a prize.
- Finish the Baby Rhyme: (Materials- baby rhyme game or a book containing the rhymes). Have the host read out loud a part of the rhyme to be finished by the other women. Let's see how many Baby Shower Guests can finish the following Rhymes we have all grown up with:..see more
- Diaper Derby On your mark, get set, go! (Top right of picture above) Divide your guests into teams and hand each team a roll of toilet paper. Give the teams five minutes to wrap a team member up in a mock diaper. The team with the most creatively diapered ‘baby’ wins. There’s something so outrageously funny about grown adults in hastily assembled toilet paper diapers—your guests won’t be able to stop laughing!
- Drink Up, Baby! (bottom half of the picture above and right side of the picture below) Whether you’re planning a daring couple’s shower or a tame for-all-ages party, this game is always a hilarious hit. Fill baby bottles with the beverage of your choice—beer for the guys at a grown-ups’ party and apple juice for the kids at a family baby shower. Then, give everyone a bottle and on the count of three they must suck the bottles dry as quickly as possible. The first person to down the contents of his or her bottle wins. - I adapted this game to be similar as the drinking game, flip cup. I had 5 baby bottles filled 1/4 of the way lined up on both sides of the table (10 in total) We did boys vs. girls. It's like a relay, one person from each team starts but the second person on the team cannot start drinking until the person before finishes. Tip: For those who are clueless (aka me), be sure to poke a hole in the bottle. When we first started, the hole was made for newborns and very hard to drink out of.
- Baby Diaper Raffle (Materials: Pen, Invite, special gift for baby shower guest) - Make it known on everyone's invitation, that if they bring a pack of diapers (for a newborn) to the baby shower that they will be entered into a drawing for a gift. This is a great way for helping make sure the new parents will have enough diapers to start with!
I highly recommend Drink up baby (adapted version) and the diaper raffle. Drink up baby was so much fun we had to play it twice. People get really into the game and it's funny seeing adults drink from baby bottles. As for the diaper raffle, since it comes in different amounts, I decided that every 30 diapers was one raffle entry. Maricar and Uncle Tai were very grateful for all the diapers they got! Apparently, babies go through alot! ;)